Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Middle School Science Letter


Dear Parents,
The next month is going to be an adventure. We will be doing things we have never done before. I am learning to use all kinds of new technology hoping to help you and your family be successful at home. I hope to never give your middle schooler more than 20 minutes of work each day. High schoolers can expect no more than 30 minutes each day. There are so many things being offered free of charge online right now. I hope you will be able to enjoy them. I am wondering about internet access for each of you. I am planning on using Google Classroom for assignments, Zoom for meetings, and Quizizz for tests, along with YouTube for occasional videos. If you don’t think your internet access will allow you to participate with any of the above list, please let me know. We will make copies for you to pick up once a week.
In the meantime, please do the following:

1.       1. Be sure you can access the email address your child provided to the school the last week we were all together. Unless requested otherwise, teachers plan to use that address for contact. 

2.      2.  Put my cell number in everyone’s phone, (706)575-9748. Text a hello with times you would prefer to meet on Zoom and a brief description of your internet status.

3.      3.  Join my Google classrooms using class codes email from the office. They can also be found on the blogs. 7th grade- be sure to join the elective Current Events class also.

4.      4.  Be on the lookout for an email invitation to meet on Zoom. You need a free account with them. If you don’t have one yet, go ahead and set that up prior to our meeting time.

5.     5.   I will generate another invitation to join my Quizizz classes. Join again even if you have done so in the past. The students know to use ONLY the name I call them in class. Anything else will get them removed from the role and result in a zero on tests.  I will edit the classes before the first test. Include a parent email so you can see grades quickly.

I hope you are having fun and are not overwhelmed already. I homeschooled for 17 years. It gets hard at times even when you choose the lifestyle. We will get through this together. Try to find a balance that keeps peace and learning. As a home school administrator, I used to tell families the more control students have in their learning, the easier it is to keep them motivated and learning.
I am praying for you every day. Stay in touch. The quickest way to get in touch with me will be a text. I promise to answer quickly.

God bless,
Sandi Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment